Ballinlaw Castle

Close to the River Barrow stands the ruins of a Norman towerhouse known locally as Ballinlaw Castle. Little is known about the towerhouse except that in ancient times it was the property of the Earl of Ormond but was allegedly forfeited under Cromwell in 1653 by Richard Butler. A ferry from Ballinlaw harbour offered a regular service across the Barrow to the Waterford side until the mid 1880’s.