Resting place of Isobel Marshall’s heart
St. Mary’s Church is located on Mary Street, New Ross, on the east bank of the River Barrow.
Abbán built a monastery in the New Ross area in the 6th century, possibly on the site where St. Mary’s was later built.
St. Mary’s was completed in 1210 and was founded by William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke or his wife Isabel de Clare, a daughter of Strongbow.
The bells were stolen in 1654 by a Lieut.-Col. Beale, during the Irish Confederate Wars. Divine Service was performed at St. Mary’s until 1811 or 1812, when the west aisle was demolished to make room for the modern church.
Many stories are associated locally with the ruins, including one about a soldier who entered the “Black Hole” under an archway with his dog; only the dog returned. In another, a man who attempted to take the cross out of the old chancel had his brains dashed out.
An illustrated map of the New Ross to Waterford Greenway.
Getting here couldn’t be easier. Access points at New Ross & Waterford.